New Zealand’s lockdown has been extended
The latest from New Zealand.
Please read my comments below. Information in this country is very difficult to find and when you do is in a form that is difficult to share. Egos are rife and people want to hold on it all.
God help us all!
P.S. An apropos comment:
Yes you are right. It is seemingly impossible to get the truth in NZ. Thank you for all your hard work.
I definitely share your anger and disappointment over all this quibbling behavior
Unfortunately with a government from 1, that’s to expecting blood from a stone
Covid-19 lockdown: NZ to remain at alert level 4 until Tuesday night
All of New Zealand will remain at alert level 4 until at least Tuesday midnight, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has confirmed.
Cabinet will meet on Monday to decide on the next move on the country’s alert levels.
Ardern and Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield have provided an update on the country’s alert level situation.
Watch the briefing here:
New Zealand went into lockdown at 11.59pm on Tuesday. Auckland and Coromandel were initially set to be in level 4 for seven days, while the rest of the country was put into level 4 for three days.
There have now been 31 community cases of Covid-19 officially confirmed in Auckland and Wellington, with 11 new cases announced this afternoon.
Ardern said the delay in opening until Tuesday means there will be more time to assess how much of the country has been affected.
“We believe we’ll be in a better position to make an assessment about all of New Zealand with that full seven days, granted Auckland is looking like it will have the challenge of being the primary site of this outbreak.”
Ardern said the country was in a “reasonable position”, but it was still early days in the outbreak and it was too soon to draw any conclusions.
“We are still waiting on a large number of contacts to be tested,” she said.
“We just don’t quite know the full scale of this Delta outbreak. All in all this tells us we need to continue to be cautious.”
Ardern said it was important that the cases at this point appeared to be linked and there were not cases popping up where they were not expected.
The large number of locations also meant the country was likely dealing with more cases, and with cases confirmed in Wellington today, health authorities were now dealing with an outbreak that was not isolated to Auckland.
“It’s much better to assure ourselves now …. than allowing the virus to spread easily.”
She urged people to check locations of interest and if they have been there at the time they should get a test. However, she warned that if they were there earlier or later, a test was not necessary.
“Many people have been doing the right thing and have encountered long wait times at our testing stations. Please do remember you can also call your GP to see if they are testing.”
She said contacts should stay home and isolate. Others should, under level 4, stay home with their bubble.
She reminded New Zealanders that anyone over 12 visiting an essential service was required to wear a face mask.
“We are also asking people to just wear a mask as they leave their home generally. Remember people have got the virus just by walking past someone.”
People should be washing their hands, scanning in, and “please be kind” and check in with friends and family.
“Following the rules to the letter does mean we can reconnect faster.”
She said the lockdown method was tried and true.
“Keep up the amazing work and everyone – and I mean everyone – needs to play their part.”
Dr Bloomfield said the testing rates across the country have been six to 10 times the usual level, and “we need to keep that up”.
He said the 24,000 swabs in one day in Auckland is 50 percent higher than the previous single-day record.
Yesterday health authorities managed to link the current cases of the Delta variant in this country to a traveller who arrived from New South Wales and was taken to Middlemore Hospital earlier this week.
Vaccination clinics have resumed operating after a one day pause to get alert level 4 protocols in place, but one Auckland clinic said it was now doing half the number of vaccinations that it was prior to the lockdown.
Close to 400,000 people have booked their Covid-19 vaccinations in the past two days, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says.
Thirty-thousand doses were administered yesterday, and that number is expected to grow.
Ardern reminded people that anyone over 40 could book a vaccine for themselves and their children aged over 12.
Bloomfield said he hoped Māori and Pasifika take up the opportunity to get vaccinated, and that they will take the opportunity to get their 12-15 year olds with them.
“One of the key parts of my advice to the government to bring 12-15 year olds on was because of the younger age structure of our Māori and Pasifika populations. So it will have a proportionately greater impact on that population.”
Covid-19 vaccine: 12-15-year-olds now eligible for vaccination in NZ | Stuff.co.nz
Covid-19 coronavirus Delta outbreak: Billy TK banned from internet but gets bail
The conspiracy theorists charged in yesterday’s anti-lockdown protest outside TVNZ headquarters have appeared in an Auckland court and been banned from the internet.
William Desmond Te Kahika, known as Billy Te Kahika or Billy TK, faced two charges of intentionally failing to comply with the Covid-19 alert level requirements.
Not guilty pleas were entered on his behalf at Auckland District Court and he will next appear in court on October 13.
Police also charged Te Kahika, 49, with failing to assist a constable exercising search powers under the Search and Surveillance Act.
The Covid-19 alert level breaches carried a maximum penalty of six months’ jail or a $4000 fine.
The charge of failing to assist under the Search and Surveillance Act has a maximum penalty of three months’ imprisonment.
Te Kahika’s bail conditions are to live at a Hokianga address, which he can only leave for attending his next court appearance, or for pre-arranged meetings with his lawyer.
He is not to access the internet or possess any internet-capable device.
Te Kahika was also banned from meeting two alleged associates.
One of those two is protester Vincent Christopher John Eastwood, known as Vinny, who was also arrested outside TVNZ.
Eastwood, 36, appeared before the judge by videolink.
The Green Bay man faced three charges of the same types Te Kahika was charged with.
He was remanded on bail without plea to September 10.
He can only leave his West Auckland bail address for court matters, and must comply with Covid-19 restrictions as part of his bail conditions.
Eastwood was banned from contacting Te Kahika and the other alleged associate.
He was also banned from possessing any internet-capable device, banned from accessing the internet, and banned from entering Auckland CBD.
He can only visit downtown Auckland now for legal appointments.
The Bail Act prohibits publication of many other details from today’s hearings.
Police Commissioner Andrew Coster yesterday confirmed four people were arrested at the gathering outside TVNZ.
Coronavirus: Police oppose bail for COVID-19 protesters over fears they will flout lockdown again
North Shore Hospital’s Emergency Department closed after positive COVID-19 patient
People needing emergency care are being diverted from Auckland’s North Shore hospital and Short Stay Surgical Unit after a patient tested positive with COVID-19. The patient was being treated prior to their COVID-19 diagnosis however the DHB is assuming that the individual could have been infectious during admission.
One thought on “New Zealand’s lockdown has been extended”
The lockdowns are a farce. With a disease that can travel from human to animal and back there is no way, even with a vaccine to get rid of it. This is about control and things much more than covid.