The coronavirus crisis hits New Zealand

The coronavirus crisis hits New Zealand

This
case is a new one that has nothing to do with  



yesterday’s
case and is an example of 
HUMAN 



TRANSMISSION



Third
case of coronavirus 

confirmed in New Zealand



Newshub,

5
March, 2019

A
third case of coronavirus has been confirmed in New Zealand, Health
Minister Dr David Clark revealed to The AM Show.

Speaking
to The AM Show on Thursday morning, Dr Clark said the case was
confirmed overnight. The person is not the partner of the woman who
was confirmed with coronavirus on Wednesday. The partner’s test
results are expected back later on Thursday.

“This
is an unrelated case but I don’t have other specific details to hand
at this stage. There will be a media update later today,” said
Dr Clark.

He
had no information about the location of the individual, but said
contact tracing had begun to find those who may have come in contact
with them.

“The
health response that we have had kicking in with each of these cases
has been thorough and that has been aided by that early investment we
made in doing things in a certain way.”

Among
the measures New Zealand has taken is to bar people travelling from
or through China and Iran into the country. Kiwi citizens and
permanent citizens can return, however. People coming to New Zealand
from northern Italy and South Korea, where cases have surged, must
self-isolate when they come into the country.

After
the second case was confirmed, the Ministry of Health said it was
still confident that the chance of widespread community outbreak was
low.

Dr
Clark said “day-by-day” we are seeing developments around
the world.

“As
we see other countries that we are in frequent contact with develop
more and more cases, we are alert to the fact that that will mean we
will likely get more cases arrive at our border.

“At
this stage, and we have a very clearly developed pandemic plan, we
are at the keep it out stage, and where we do have those sporadic
incursions, in the containment phase, but the pandemic plan has all
of the phases laid out, and if the medical advice, if the doctors say
we need to move to a different phase, we will listen to that and we
will, of course, act accordingly.”

Details
of second case questioned


The
woman confirmed to have the virus on Wednesday recently visited
northern Italy. After returning to New Zealand, prior to the
self-isolation rule coming in, she flew to and from Palmerston North.
Since being diagnosed, the woman has been in self-isolation in her
home.

The
flight the woman took back to New Zealand was last Tuesday, on 25
February. She also took two domestic flights on Monday, 2 March –
NZ5103 Auckland to Palmerston North and NZ8114 Palmerston North to
Auckland.

People
in close contact are considered to be those who were in the same row
of seats, the two rows in front and the two rows behind the infected
person.

Dr
Clark said officials are making “very good progress” in
contacting those on the flight.

Officials
are also contacting two medical centres where the woman sought advice
and treatment to determine if there is any risk to staff or other
people who may have been there at that time.

Dr
Clark told The AM Show that those who had been in close contact with
the woman were being sought. He said it was important to remember
close contacts are people who had been within one metre of the
individual for more than 15 minutes.

“It’s
passed by droplet spread. Somebody has to kinda sneeze on you or
cough on you, or be up close and personal for quite a period of time
for it to spread,” he said.

“Nonetheless,
they are very cautious, the public health people, as you would hope.
They look to that wider circle and see if there any people at risk
that need to be followed up on.”

COVID-19
can, however, be contracted by touching surfaces where the illness is
present, according to the World Health Organisation. The length of
time the virus stays alive on surfaces is unknown at this stage, but
some viruses can remain active for days.

The
AM Show host Duncan Garner questioned the Minister over whether the
newly infected person was a medical professional. Dr Clark said he
wasn’t aware of that being the case and expected he would have been
briefed if it had been.

Garner
also asked if any doctor who came in contact with the Auckland woman
who was confirmed to be infected on Wednesday had been put into
quarantine and if they had seen any patients since.

“Those
are exactly the questions the public health officials would have been
working on yesterday,” Dr Clark responded.

More
specifically, Garner asked if the doctor at the first medical centre
the infected woman visited had been self-isolated.

“I
expect all of the appropriate measures will have been taken by now,”
said Dr Clark.

“I
cannot supervise the hundreds and hundreds of individual staff
running around. I do get full briefings on areas of concern and
developing situations.”

If
the Minister received full briefings, why didn’t he know the location
of that doctor, Garner said.

“I
can seek that advice, but I am very confident that public health
staff would have been very early to contact that person.”

Dr
Clark said the “appropriate actions” would have also been
taken with the doctor at the second medical centre the woman visited.

“As
soon as the case is confirmed, the public health officials move as
quickly as they can.”

At
this stage, the woman does not require hospital-level care, and the
World Health Organisation has pointed out that self-isolation at home
is an appropriate response for those who display mild to moderate
symptoms.

The
infected woman has children who attend Westlake Boys and Westlake
Girls High in Auckland, and both of the schools have been contacted
and are on alert.

The
children who attend those two schools are not showing symptoms,
however, and are now at home and in isolation. They did not travel to
Italy and are both well and are being monitored.

The
first case of coronavirus in New Zealand was confirmed on Friday last
week. That individual was a New Zealand citizen who had returned to
the country from Iran, via Bali. They are currently in a stable
condition, according to officials.

Spread
of coronavirus


The
WHO was first informed of cases of the virus in Wuhan on December 31.
It was identified as a coronavirus on January 7 and can spread
through human-to-human transmission.

More
than 93,000 people worldwide have been infected, with nearly 3200
deaths.

“Common
signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough,
shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases,
infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome,
kidney failure and even death,” the WHO says.

“Standard
recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand
washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing,
thoroughly cooking meat and eggs. Avoid close contact with anyone
showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and
sneezing.”

There
is currently no vaccine for the sickness, which is believed to have
come from a marketplace in Wuhan. The Chinese city has become a ghost
town with thousands of people there contracting the disease and many
dying from it.


How
can I protect myself?


  • avoid
    touching the mouth, nose and eyes with unwashed hands 
  • washing
    your hands before eating
  • carrying
    a hand sanitiser at all times
  • being
    particularly mindful of touching your face after using public
    transport or going to the airport
  • carry
    tissues at all times to cover the mouth and nose when coughing or
    sneezing (then dispose of it)
  • not
    eating shared or communal food
  • avoiding
    shaking hands, kissing cheeks
  • regularly
    cleaning and sanitise commonly used surfaces and items, such as
    phones and keys
  • avoiding
    close contact with people suffering from or showing symptoms of acute
    respiratory infection
  • seeking
    medical attention if you feel unwell.

A
full explainer on protecting yourself from coronavirus can be found
here.

The
Ministry of Health is reminding the public to get in touch with
Healthline on 0800 358 5453 if they have symptons or concerns.




RNZ has set up a livestream (very rare)


The third case of coronavirus in New Zealand is an Auckland man in his 40s whose family recently travelled from Iran, the Health Ministry has confirmed.

Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield has given the latest update on the response to the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus.

Watch the latest briefing here:

Dr Bloomfield said the latest case was one of family transmission because the man himself had not travelled to a country with coronavirus. His family had been to Iran.

He said this meant there was a probable fourth case that still needed to be confirmed.

The man is in self isolation at home and Dr Bloomfield said the man’s partner has 

been ill and is being tested, and is in isolation.


Earlier, Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield told Morning Report he 


received reports last night of the third positive test.

The new case is not the husband of an 


Auckland woman who tested positive on Tuesday after earlier returning from a t



rip to Italy. Officials are still waiting for his test results. The Auckland family – 


including two pupils at Westlake high schools – are in isolation at home.


Meanwhile, Air New Zealand has stood down cabin crew from flights that 


transported the woman.

He said anyone travelling on Qatar Airways flight QR 0920 can call Healthline for more information.

Family of the man go to Auckland Grammar School and Ormiston Junior College, but the children have had no symptoms and the Ministry of Education said there was no danger to other students.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial
RSS