The NZ government is putting people at risk while trying to manage its relationship with China

The NZ government is putting people at risk while trying to manage its relationship with China

Are the authorities monumentally stupid or do they actually WANT US to be at risk?



It is a case of “risk management”, which entails balancing the needs of the population with the”needs” of the economy – and that, in turn, means kowtowing to China.



Insane!

People
struggle to find places 
to self-quarantine amid coronavirus outbreak

Stuff.co.nz,

18
February, 2020

People
returning from mainland China are calling for more guidance and help
from the government as they struggle to find places to self-isolate.

The
Covid-19 outbreak has now claimed 1775 lives, and the confirmed cases
have surged to 71,335 worldwide, with a majority of them in mainland
China.


The
government has asked those who have travelled from and through
mainland China since 2 February to stay in quarantine for two weeks,
but some people say they have nowhere to go.

Director
of Public Health Dr Caroline McElnay said up to midnight Sunday,
there have been 4386 people who have registered as being in
self-isolation.

Auckland
woman Connie, who didn’t want her surname used, was busy looking for
a place to stay for her adult nephew, who’s returning from Guangdong
in south China on Friday.


For
the past 10 years, he’s been living with Connie and her family of
four. However, things are a bit tricky this time.


“We
don’t have a place for him to stay in quarantine. The whole family
lives in the same house. There isn’t any additional space. We will
have to live in the same space, using the same toilet and bathroom
all the time. How can we stay away from each other?”


“If
the government or the Healthline can give them a place – make
somewhere available for them to spend these 14 days quietly, that
would be good. Then it wouldn’t cause any trouble to others and they
have somewhere to stay. We can take care of sending food.”


Connie
said she was told government emergency housing could be arranged for
her nephew only after he was finished quarantine.


Jianwu
Zhang slept in his car for two nights after coming back to Auckland
from Shanghai last week.


He
chose to stay away from his flatmates, and spent two hours in the
airport calling around for alternative accommodation.


“I
was wanting to book a hotel. A friend was helping to make calls as
well. I was also making my own calls, but we called four or five
motels in Auckland, they all said I can’t stay there.”


He
finally found an estate in north Auckland with short-term
accommodation. Zhang said there were things the government can
improve on.


“For
people like me, who need to quarantine themselves, the government
doesn’t have clear guidelines. We don’t know how to self-isolate –
without somewhere to stay. We don’t know whom should we contact. We
don’t know what to do.”


Auckland
woman Julia Miao was among a group of volunteers who have been
helping people like Zhang to look for a place to stay.


She
said they were searching accommodation websites, putting the message
out on social media – as well as contacting schools and government
agencies. But it had been hard work.


“Most
of them [accommodation providers] have said ‘no’, and very few said
‘let me think about it’. Generally they will take a few days to
think. I’ve tried very hard to follow up. But our people can’t wait.
We also got lots of calls from overseas asking for help – these
people can’t wait a few more days,” Miao said.


Tauranga
man Andy Liu, who was part of the group, said they had received 150
calls for help since late last month and calls kept coming in.


The
group has helped some people already, but there weren’t enough
volunteers to answer all the pleas for help and it could be difficult
to find suitable accommodation.


“I
don’t know what the government’s plans are, but we hope every
department can co-operate with each other to overcome the
difficulties … the government is the main power in this,” he
said.


GOVERNMENT
RESPONSE


The
Ministry of Social Development’s group manager of client service
delivery, Kay Read, said the ministry had made “a small number”
of hardship grant payments related to the virus and that number was
expected to increase.


“We
encourage people to get in touch with us to discuss their individual
situation and what help is available. We will be offering all
available support to assist people through this period of
uncertainty,” she said.


The
Ministry of Health said anyone who needed assistance should contact
Healthline’s dedicated COVID-19 phone number 0800 358 5453, and some
financial assistance was available to individuals and families.


“Healthline
are working to understand people’s individual welfare needs, and will
be regularly checking on the welfare and wellbeing of those persons
registered,” it said in a statement.


“The
ministry is continuing to work with other agencies to explore how we
can further support people who are self-isolating. For example, there
is already a range of support available to New Zealanders who are
faced with financial hardship.”


According
to New Zealand Customs Service, 7459 people have arrived from
mainland China since 3 February.


Are the authorities monumentally stupid or criminal psychopaths?



Eleven
New Zealanders are among thousands of passengers due to leave the
cruise ship tomorrow after spending two weeks confined to their
cabins because of a corona virus outbreak.

The
Australian government has offered to take New Zealanders to Darwin on
a flight out for its citizens but they must agree to undergo two
weeks quarantine when they get home.

New
Zealander Wren Manuel had initially said he and his wife would not
take the Australian flight because they did not want to be
quarantined again.


But
since learning they would have to be quarantined no matter where they
were, they decided to take the flight to Darwin.

He
was frustrated that the government had not evacuated New Zealanders
earlier and lessened the time they would have to be isolated.

Prime
Minister Jacinda Ardern said anyone who did not come home on the
Australian flight would need to undergo quarantine in Japan.

“We
need to keep in mind that if they try and fly commercially then that
exposes a number of other people to risk,” she said.

Some
of the passengers were distressed about having to be quarantined
again, she said.

“I
understanding how frustrating that will be for many of them… but
unfortunately there has been such a rate of transmission, despite
some incredible efforts from all those involved, that we do need to
put public health and their health first first,” she said.

The
government was considering chartering a commercial flight from Darwin
to New Zealand, she said.

Health
minister David Clark said it was most likely the returning passengers
would go to the centre at Whanagaparaoa where 157 people who
travelled from Wuhan were due to finish their quarantine tomorrow.


https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/409799/nzers-from-diamond-princess-could-expose-a-number-of-other-people-to-risk

This is while China has locked down half of its population and is not allowing people to leave their homes.

At
a media conference at the Chinese Embassy in Wellington this morning,
Wu Xi noted the World Health Organisation has said there is no need
for such restrictions.

Trade
has stalled and Chinese students are unable to start university here
and it’s time New Zealand reconsidered its position, she said.

“Recommendations
from the WHO are clear cut and it has been reiterated time and
again.”

Wu
added that cases of coronavirus are declining, which shows the
Chinese government has the virus under control.

She
also praised the “outstanding leadership” shown by
President Xi Jinping in the wake of the crisis and played a number of
video-clips from Chinese media positively describing the prevention
and control efforts underway.

Wu
contrasted the response of the current situation to the 2009 H1-N1
influenza pandemic, which the Centre for Disease Control and
Prevention estimates killed between 150,000 and 575,000 people
worldwide during its first year.

“The
actions taken by the government were not to impose a travel limit,”
Wu said.

“In
a lesser situation, with a lesser risk, why should tougher measures
be imposed in this case?”

She
said the restrictions were also placing stress on international
students.

Forty
percent of international Chinese students are still overseas waiting
for the travel ban to lift.

Students
that have arrived in New Zealand are facing xenophobia due to
misinformation circulating here and those students still overseas
feel uncertain about their schooling futures, she said.

“That’s
why we are keeping in very close touch with the universities and
schools to ensure their rights and interests are not impeded by this
limit.”

She
said New Zealand and China have a solid foundation to their bilateral
relationship and she hopes that will mean the nations find a “proper
way to prevent and control this epidemic”.

Xu
ended her section on the bilateral relationship by quoting a saying:
“when in prosperity friends know us, and when in adversity we
know our friends”.



https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/409795/no-need-for-travel-restrictions-china-s-ambassador-to-nz

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=12307298

Toi
Te Ora Medical Officer of Health Dr Neil de Wet says that 26 people
are in self-isolation for COVID-19, also known as coronavirus, in the
Bay of Plenty District Health Board region.

On
Saturday night, the Ministry of Health reported that there continue
to be no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand.

In
New Zealand, self-isolation registrations with Healthline continue to
grow. A further 341 registrations for self-isolation were made on
Friday and as at midnight February 14 just under 4000 people had
registered since the register went live at 5pm on Friday February 7.

The
people who are self-isolating have been registered with the Ministry
of Health, and the local medical officer of health on call will be
notified if any of them develop any symptoms that may be indicative
of the virus.

Self-isolation
means staying away from situations where you could infect other
people, says the Ministry of Health website.

This
means any situation where you may come in close contact with others,
face to face contact closer than 1 metre for more than 15 minutes,
such as social gatherings, work, school, child care/pre-school
centres, university, polytechnic and other education providers,
faith-based gatherings, aged care and health care facilities,
prisons, sports gatherings, restaurants, and all public gatherings.”



See also – No COVID-19 virus cases in the Bay


https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/119575115/too-early-to-relax-about-coronavirus-top-csl-scientist-warns-world-markets?cid=app-iPad

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial
RSS