The US must remove all its troops from Afghanistan by September 11, Suhail Shaheen, a member of the Taliban’s political office and negotiation team in Qatar, told Sky News.
Shaheen said the militants remain committed to not attacking US servicemen, and their immediate goal is to maintain security and prevent incidents around Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul.
The group’s spokesperson previously said that foreign diplomats and aid workers will not be harmed.
The US planned to withdraw its troops by August 31, but was forced to dispatch around 5,000 additional soldiers to facilitate the evacuation of American diplomatic personnel and their allies from Kabul, as Afghanistan’s capital and largest city was swiftly seized by the Taliban on Sunday.
The sudden arrival of the militants sparked panic, with locals swarming the airport in the hope of catching a flight from Afghanistan. According to reports, several people died during the ensuing chaos and US troops reportedly fired in the air to prevent desperate Afghans from flooding the runway.
Earlier this year, US President Joe Biden set a deadline of September 11 for completing the US withdrawal from Afghanistan.
On Monday, Biden promised a “swift and forceful” response if the Taliban attacks American soldiers or disrupts evacuations.
$1 TRILLION worth of US failures in Afghanistan: DOD report tears into ‘mind-boggling’ mistakes from Bush to Biden, the US funneling money into corruption and advisors using ‘American TV shows’ for inspiration
- The US has now spent $837 billion on warfighting and $145 billion in Afghanistan, and 2,443 American troops and 66,000 Afghan troops were killed
- One former senior Defense official told the watchdog: ‘When you look at how much we spent and what we got for it, it’s mind boggling’
- The analysis said that the reconstruction effort ‘could be described as 20 one-year reconstruction efforts, rather than one 20-year effort’
- ‘Billions of reconstruction dollars were wasted as projects went unused or fell into disrepair,’ the report said, noting rampant corruption
- It found that US officials did not understand how their intervention was being accepted socially and culturally
The Biden administration blame game begins: Chaos as the White House, Pentagon and State Department all look to blame each other for the debacle in Afghanistan
- President Biden singled out U.S.-trained Afghan forces who failed to fight
- Diplomats question how U.S. intelligence failed to anticipate lightning takeover
- White House official points to General’s overestimate of Afghan force capability
- Biden’s top national security advisor is himself under fire
- Comes after Biden orders in 6,000 troops to secure evacuation
Look who got rich off of arming the Taliban (Full show)
Washington cannot say whether or not it has a plan to keep US weapons out of the hands of the Taliban. The Taliban, triumphant and firmly in control of Afghanistan and against whom the US waged two decades of bloody and expensive warfare, is now in possession of US tanks, guns and other military equipment. Raytheon, Boeing, Northrop-Grumman and Lockheed-Martin quietly raked in billions of dollars from the slow-motion fiasco while the US taxpayers footed the bill. RT America’s Faran Fronczak joins Scottie Nell Hughes to share the infuriating details. (01:48)
Then US Army veteran and conservative commentator Cory Mills joins to discuss the enrichment of defense contractors even as US veterans are routinely and repeatedly betrayed. (06:34)
- Taliban vow no retribution against soldiers, contractors
- Taliban leader Baradar returns to Afghanistan
- West resumes evacuations after Kabul airport chaos eases
- Biden, Johnson agree to virtual G7 meeting on Afghanistan